Taxes on Passes (USA)

Tax resources for creators in the United States.

The money you earn on Passes is taxed. These resources apply to creators in the United States.

Are creators employed by Passes?

No. Creators are independent contractors to Passes (not employees). Passes does not manage any tax withholding, so creators must report their income to the IRS directly.

What is a W9?

You need to fill out your W9 form before doing any payouts. This form gives us your address and contact information. It also explains that we won’t be withholding any taxes from your earnings.

How am I taxed on income from Passes?

Income from Passes is taxed as self-employment income.

  • All Creators will receive a Form 1099-NEC form if they earned and withdrew at least $600 in 2022. This form will be available by January 31, 2023.
  • Passes will send a paper copy of the 1099-NEC form to the Creator’s address on file.
  • Passes will also send a copy of the 1099-NEC to the IRS.

Do I need a W2 or W4?

No. You need a 1099-NEC form for your Passes income.

The information on my 1099-NEC is wrong.

Please contact with the subject line “1099 ERROR” and tell us what information is wrong so our tax team can investigate.

Why haven’t I received my 1099-NEC?

You will only receive a 1099-NEC if you earned and withdrew at least $600 in 2022. All print copies of the 1099-NEC forms will be mailed by January 31, 2023.

I need to update the information on my 1099.

You have until December 31st of the tax year to update your W9 form. To request a correction, please reach out at